With every passing day, technology is adding a new chapter in the revolutionization of humanity. In this fast-paced world, technology has helped in performing tasks with higher efficiency and faster rate. In earlier days, when technology was not prominent, industries required huge labor to perform the tasks.
The need to perform complex tasks and lack of skilled labor to perform these tasks, led to the development of modern-day automation systems. Automation systems have helped in performing those tasks at a much faster pace and efficiency. Automation Systems are built using artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies.
For a better understanding of the topic, let us acquaint ourselves with artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Artificial Intelligence: Artificial Intelligence is the branch of computer science that enables machines to perform tasks that would otherwise require human intelligence. Artificial intelligence provides machines the power of reasoning, decision making, problem solving and perception.
Machine Learning: Machine Learning is a subset of artificial intelligence. Machine Learning deals with training the machines by feeding huge datasets in the form of examples and instructions. In this way, computers learn automatically and perform tasks without being explicitly programmed or with any human intervention.
Benefits of automation
The benefits of automation over manual process are as follows:
1. Improved Productivity
- As organizations grow bigger and bigger, productivity becomes a figure of merit. Artificial Intelligence as a service has helped organizations to improve their productivity. The output of industries also increased to several hundred times by using automation.
- With the automation of tasks, the number of humans involved is reduced considerably. Moreover, tasks are completed at a much faster rate with the help of automated machines.
2. Improved Quality
- AI / Machine Learning in the industry improves the quality of products and services to a greater extent. As we know, machines have a high degree of precision, so it helps in maintaining the quality of products and services. Moreover, automating the task makes the output more consistent.
- For example, automated customer service will be consistent throughout, which means the user will experience the same level of consistency in service at any point in time.
Automating the processes using Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning saves time. Manual processes take time. Automating processes speeds up the tasks thereby improving the output and productivity. This frees your valuable human labor who can instead work on tasks that are more complex and add direct value to your business.
4. Reduces Costs
It is no doubt that building Artificial Intelligence applications requires a considerable amount of budget in the beginning, but it will most often be worth the investment. In the long run, automation has proven to be more efficient and cost-effective than the human counterpart. Automation helps in performing tasks and requires fewer resources.
5. Higher Reliability
Reliability is another merit of using automation systems over manual processes. Automation systems are more reliable than the human counterpart. Humans commit mistakes, making them less reliable. On the other hand, automation systems once programmed do not commit mistakes on their part. Automation systems make sure that jobs are not forgotten and are performed in a sequence in batch processing.
Automation is transforming manual processes at a fast rate. Let us discuss some of the manual processes that have been taken over by automation.
1. Automation in Production
- Artificial Intelligence applications in the production of goods have changed the whole scenario. Tasks which would take weeks to complete were completed in just a few days. From preparing raw materials to feeding it to machines, from the assembly line to packing, automation is helping industries at every step in the production cycle.
- Some of the examples would be the automobile industry, electronics manufacturing units, food production industry, dairy industry, etc.
2. Automation in Retail
Artificial Intelligence machines have helped retailers by automating processes. Retailers can have synchronization setup to align the demand and supply. They no longer have to check the availability of products in the store as well as in the inventory. Automation systems alarm well before time about the availability of a specific product in the retail store.
3. Automation in Healthcare
- Healthcare is a crucial sector. Artificial Intelligence has revolutionized the healthcare industry also. Artificial Intelligence systems have been made available that can perform the initial stage checkup of patients. This helps in speeding up the process of treatment. Automation systems built using AI can detect diseases with the help of symptoms from the patient. These systems also generate reports on the basis of symptoms.
- Moreover, some of the advanced artificial intelligence projects have also performed difficult surgeries successfully.
4. Automation in the IT industry
- Artificial Intelligence systems have also brought about a positive change in the IT industry. It has improved the productivity of programmers. Automation is helping programmers at every stage of the software development cycle. Be it planning, architectural development, deployment or quality assurance.
- With the automation in quality assurance, programmers get to know potential risks of the application beforehand. During software testing, test cases are made automatically, and detection of bugs becomes easier.
5. Automation in Customer Service
- Artificial Intelligence as a service has helped improving Customer Service in businesses. You may have heard about Chatbots or may have used one. Chatbots are built using machine learning algorithms that can communicate with humans and act like a regular human being. Chatbots can help businesses in improving the customer service by answering queries from the customer.
- Customers often have many questions about your business before buying your product or service. Chatbots once programmed can answer all the queries effectively. Moreover, chatbots are available 24/7, thereby improving response rates at the same time.
No doubt, automation has revolutionized the way things are done. Automation systems are more reliable, productive and cost-effective than the human counterpart. We are witnessing a continuous process where automation is taking over manual tasks. Automation is an effective and efficient way of achieving more significant goals. As it has decreased the need for human intervention and thus people can take advantage, and make time for more creative work rather than doing daily mundane tasks. It should all lead to further advancement in technology.